Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Good Read (Thankful List Day 40)

I've always been an avid reader. As a young child, I loved my fairy tales and Enid Blyton - the fantasy and feeling that anything is possible. I've more than once looked at a chair and hoped it would lift off the ground by some magical power.

In my very early teens, I got into adult fiction - Sheldon, Cook, Archer, Clancy, just to name a few. I suppose those were books that were lying around the house. I'd spend hours just laying down on my bed, or curled up in a chair, just reading. Ended up needing glasses by the time I was 9.

Nowadays, I prefer non-fiction works, or lighter fare. Over the past few years, I've completely enjoyed the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. I believe they are some of the best books ever written, incredibly imaginative and clever in its conception of a completely unique world, even though it's based on popular folk lore and mythology with a dose of history.

Over the recent weeks, I've breezed through a few selective novels by Jennifer Weiner - Good In Bed, Certain Girls and Little Earthquakes. They're easy reads. I finished them in a few hours. But she writes in an engaging manner, with quite a good sense of humour, mostly Jewish, which possibly makes it even funnier. I think I may take on In Her Shoes next, even though I'd already seen the movie. I liked the movie version, and I suspect I may like the book better.

Nothing like a good read to take you away from your present, even if it's for a brief moment.

2 comments:

dRaGoNfLy WiNgS said...

I actually preferred the book for In Her Shoes. :)

Just like The Devil Wears Prada. I've watched the movie just to ogle at the clothes but the book is still better.

Then again, maybe i'm more of a book-worm... :P

Foodie Queen said...

The only weakness with In Her Shoes was obviously miss blonde chick. I've always been a fan of Toni Colette though.

Y'know, I abandoned fiction for YEARS, with the exception of a few Dan Brown, Mitch Albom and HP books. Since I came here to the US. I think I may have read less than 30 fiction books. Made up for it by reading a ton of non-fiction.

Somehow reality can be more dramatic than made-up stories :P