Tuesday, February 10, 2009

RECIPE: ABC Soup (Thankful List Day 38)

There are days when I just draw a blank when it comes to planning dinner. After rummaging through my refrigerator and pantry, I decided to rely on a tried and true recipe - ABC soup. Most of you who are Malaysian Chinese will probably know what I'm talking about. It's a fantastic soup, very flavourful and healthy. Nothing like soup to chase the winter blues away.


This recipe makes a large pot, enough to serve six to eight people. I like to make a lot so that I have leftovers for the next day. I just have it with rice, and soy sauce as a dip.

Ingredients:
2 lbs meaty pork bones (substitute with chicken if you wish)
2 large potatoes, cut into 2-inch cubes
4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch length pieces
1 large onion, cut into cubes
3 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, simple quartered
1 tbsp whole white peppercorns (add more if you like it spicier)
1 tbsp salt
approximately 4 litres of water

Method:

  • Bring water to a boil in a large heavy stockpot. Add in pork bones.
  • Cook bones in gentle boiling water for about 30 minutes, and then using a skimmer, remove all scum and excess oil.
  • Add all veggies to the mix, along with the peppercorns and salt.
  • Simmer for another hour, until meat falls off the bones.
  • Serve hot with steamed rice.

No comments: