Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Hungry Valentine (Thankful List Day 44)


It was a typical Valentine's day for Jon and me, almost completely non-romantic, if I had to put it in those words.

He had to work from a full day, 9 a.m. through 9 p.m. I was stuck with yard sale prep duty, did a grab-and-dash at Ikea and met up with a dear friend for a quick lunch. Then it was straight to Lisa's place and did some loading and unloading boxes of things to sell at the garage sale AND helped cook some lunch.

After a couple of hours, I rushed home (mind you it's an hour's drive one way) to meet up with a lady who was coming to buy my sofa. Then a quick trip to the supermarket and then home again, home again, jiggety jig, to prepare some dinner for us. Of course, being V-day, I tried to put some kind of effort into the meal considering we don't celebrate it in any other fashion.

I already had a recipe in mind to attempt. I adapted Gordon Ramsay's Crab Spring Rolls recipe and added a few twist. The original recipe would have been fantastic, but being very familiar with the ingredients, I knew that it would be better suited to our palates if the flavours were a tad bit bolder. So I upped the ooomph-factor with a little extra lime juice, added a red jalapeno for heat, and lime zest for a little more zing to counter the heaviness from frying the rolls.
(Recipe to follow in next posting)

Suffice to say, dinner was incredibly enjoyable. Jon brought home a bottle of Aubry Brut Rosé Champagne which paired perfectly with the crab spring rolls. After downing dinner and a glass of champagne, I was already half-asleep. At the end of the long, long day, I was and still am, always VERY thankful that I have someone I can celebrate even a low-key Valentine's day with.

No comments: