Saturday, January 10, 2009

Apples of our eyes (Thankful List Day 10)

It will take many blog posts to write about how thankful I am for my beautiful daughter, Elyse. This post shall be one of many. She's been an incredible blessing to our lives. And everyday, I find more reasons to love her even more.

We were at a gathering at our friends' home to visit and welcome their new beautiful baby girl, who is all pink, healthy and lovely. Soon after our arrival, I saw her at play with two other toddlers and it was such fun to see their direct and non-direct interaction between each other. Most of the time, they stared at one another or fought over toys. Even so, it tickled me to watch how cute they looked just being around each other, and I am just so grateful for these sweet, healthy, bundles of joy.

Earlier today, I was watching a short video a friend had sent me. The video was dedicated to the memory of a little three-year old girl who was abused and murdered by her mother's boyfriend-later husband over a period of nine months. Her mother had allowed it to happen. Stories like these shake me to the core, and make me wonder what kind of parent would allow anything remotely bad happen to their own flesh and blood?? What kind of a monster would you have to be to hurt a child, again and again, and then to take her life?

As these emotions flooded my heart and mind, I knew that there is very little I wouldn't do to protect Elyse from the evils of the world. I guess that's what happens when you love someone more than life itself.

No comments: