Saturday, January 03, 2009

Sister, sister (Thankful List Day 2)


The times that I’ve been able to stay afloat these past few years is all thanks to my dearest sister. She’s literally my ‘lifesaver’, emotionally, financially and spiritually. We’re as close as siblings can ever get, even though we’re separated by vast oceans and land.

She’s always been there for me through really, icky thick and bright, bubbly thin. Always generous with taking care of us. “Why?”, I asked her one recent day. She replied, “Because you used to spoil me silly when we were younger.”

Truth be told, I don’t remember much ‘spoiling’. I have always enjoyed her company (okay, since I was maybe 14 years old), even hung out with her friends, chaperoned and drove them places like the mall, movie theatre, mamak, etc. Of course, we’ve had our differences too. I’m impatient, demanding and bossy, and love things done my way. She’s very laid back and does things whenever she sees fit. Although, I’ve noticed that she’s gotten more impatient recently. Must be an age thing.

Half of all Elyse’s toys come from her, as well as my new wardrobe these past 2 months. She’s been our personal bank for past three years because we’ve been struggling to make ends meet. Believe me, I’m embarrassed as hell to have to ask her for help, but unfortunately the situation desperately called for it.

She’s always encouraged me to look upwards and forwards, to believe and hope that things will change for the better. Even more so when she suffered a very tragic, heartbreaking loss of her own almost one year ago. It was a very sobering time for the whole family.

I am amazed at how she’s persevered through an entire year of one horrid event after another, ultimately emerging stronger, wiser and more beautiful, inside and out.

I couldn’t ask for a better person to share a bloodline with :)

No comments: