Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Family away from home (Thankful List Day 6)

Most people I know take their families for granted. It's much more apparent when their families are right around the corner, or just down the street. I haven't been home for 10 years. It's an awfully long time, considering I've always been close to my family. Yes, yes... I know absence makes the heart grow fonder. But there's also the flip side to that sometimes - out of sight, out of mind. Sorry, I digress.

Strange thing is that, the longer I have been away from home, the tighter I cling on to values and traditions that I grew up being quite blasé about. So, it's a really good thing I have someone who shares those values with me - my dearest cousin, Lisa.

She's the only real family I have on this side of the planet, and so thankful I am that she's only less than an hour away by car! Even more thankful that she's the sweetest, most generous, welcoming, and kind person you'll ever meet. Furthermore, she's a real hoot, and extremely fun person to be around. We've spent many a time laughing and reminiscing about old and new times. Through many of those conversations, I've discovered that she's probably the only person who truly understands what I went through growing up in my family.

The past few years would have been much, much harder to bear without her never-ending support and help. There isn't much I've accomplished since moving to Texas, but I am very glad that I was able to develop a closer relationship with her, and realize that she's more than just a cousin to me - she's a great friend and pretty much a sister to me.

No comments: