Friday, January 23, 2009

Hong Kong in Texas (Thankful List Day 22)

Entrance to the new Hong Kong shopping center


This lion statue is made of solid marble!


Yesterday was the first time I felt even an inkling of a celebratory mood. As usual, Chinese New Year is a non-event here in Texas. At the Hong Kong market, they had put up some fairly nice decorations, lanterns and such. Of course, they had the mandatory CNY music playing in the background, loads of CNY candy and other goodies displayed out front.

Further into the store, they had a mountain of mandarin oranges and pomeloes for sale. Shelves were empty of certain cookies and drinks. Yes! It sure looks like CNY now :)

It is because of asian markets like this which has kept me sane throughout the years I've been here. I am able to get most ingredients that I need to replicate our favourite dishes from home, which as you know....I'm most thankful for.

No comments: